Tofu Fajitas!

When I was a freshman in high school I attempted to try vegetarianism, and I failed. My unscalable mountain was tofu. I never could figure out how to cook it properly and it just always had the wrong consistency. I have since learned about draining and proper temperatures. So today I'm going to share one of my favorite tofu recipes and hopefully help some of you dive deeper into the mystery that is tofu!
The original source for this recipe can be found here.

Ingredients:
16 oz tofu, drained
2 Limes, juiced
2 Teaspoons mild paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 yellow onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
8oz guacamole
8 oz pico de gallo
4oz plain greek yogurt or sour cream
Tortillas


To begin you need to drain the tofu. I like to cut the package open a little and pour  out as much juice as I can. Then I sandwich the tofu between two big plates loaded with paper towels. If you have a clean dish rag or two you can use those as an eco- friendly solution. I also like to put a large book on top of it all to make sure I get the maximum amount of drainage. This needs to left for at least half an hour. You might want to change out the towels after 20 minutes if they become soaked. 
While you wait you can make the marinade
Mix the lime juice, paprika, cumin, garlic, and salt together in a small bowl. This recipe is heavy on the garlic, so you can decrease it if you wish. Also, if you want to be more adventurous, you can add chile powder or even a minced jalapeno to give it more kick. My family can't handle spicy to well, so I've left that out. 
Once the tofu has sufficiently drained it's time to cut it. First cut it in half lengthwise, then make several slices across the top so that you make long strips. 
Arrange the strips in a baking dish and distribute the marinade so that each strip gets an equal coating. You may need to shuffle the strips around until they're all coated.
Leave this in the fridge for at least one hour. I like to make mine earlier in the day so that the tofu has time to really soak in the marinade. Flip the tofu a few times while marinating. 

Once the tofu have marinated a while you can heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Next slice the onion lengthwise and set aside. Once the oil is simmering you can put the tofu in let in cook until it darkens and crisps. Allow it to blacken in places. Once all the tofu is cooked add more oil to the pan and and place the onion slices in. Sauté until soft. This should take about 8 minutes, but it could take longer. The first time I did this I thought something was wrong because it felt too long, but if you're patient, you can have onions straight out of a restaurant!
While the onions are cooking you can wrap the tortillas in foil and warm them up in a 300 degree oven. 
Once the onions are done you can serve the best vegetarian fajitas ever with sour cream, cheese, and guac!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A thankful note

Room to Change

In defense of Creativity