but I being poor have only my dreams

We've been studying Yeats this past week and while it has been exhausting and frustrating, but he is my favorite so it's been pretty great. Since I have had very little time to do anything exciting enough to warrant a blog post, I will leave you with the only poem I've ever bothered to memorize, which must mean it's my favorite.
-E

Brown Penny
I whispered, "I am too young,"
and then, "I am old enough";
Wherefore I threw a penny 
to find out if I might love.
"Go and love, go and love, young man,
if the lady be young and fair."
Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, 
I am looped in the loops of her hair.
Oh love is the crooked thing,
There is no body wise enough
to find out all that is in it.
For he would be thinking of love
til the stars had run away
and the shadows eaten the moon.
Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny,
One cannon begin it too soon. 
-W.B. Yeats

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A thankful note

Room to Change

In defense of Creativity